Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:00:00 -0500, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> said:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:11:00PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>
>> My *main* current problem is that the DPL is not taking enough
>> initiatives to lead the project, to improve the project, to prepare
>> the project for the future, etc. I don't care much about the
>> administrivia facet of the role.
>>
>> I do care about how Debian will evolve and I have an opinion on the
>> topic.  Hence my interest in leadership issues.
>>

> From my perspective this idea is to take the DPL from one or two
> people to more people. Why? To get more done.

        Throwing more people at a problem does not always get more
 done. Just read the Mythical man month. (Can throwing 1024 people
 into DPLship get a thousand times more accomplished?)

        Adding more people can lead to the dilution of responsibility,
 and inaction since the board can't come to a decision, with lots more
 debates and internal strife.

> Because the DPL can not do all that he/she wants by him/herself with
> the timeframe of an election cycle.

        Is this a real problem? Has any ex-DPL actually stated that
 they ran out of time?

        manoj
--
Where are the calculations that go with a calculated risk?