Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> >- more momentum to the leadership: clearly a single leader is swamped with
> >  administrivia and even the addition of a 2IC didn't let Anthony finish
> >  his first proposal (about giving single-package upload rights to some
> >  people which don't want to become full DD but want to maintain just one
> >  or two packages)
>
> Could you elaborate about the administrivia comment?

I already elaborated somewhere else in the thread. It's more that the DPL
is probably too much sollicited (mediation, press, various CC to
leader@d.o) which let him not too many time to do the projects that he
might have presented in his campaign.

> >- better decision taking: when you have a big discussion, it's difficult
> >to take a
> >  decison alone, you take the sole responsibility of it... whereas when
> >  you're 10 which are deciding, it's easier to assume the outcome.
>
> Which kind of decision? Technical?

The kind of decision that you expect a DPL to take: decide if a new idea
is worth trying, decide of some guidelines for internal teams, decision of
new appointments, decide how to spend our money, ...

> >It's also a form of leadership that fits better our own internal workings.
> >If a board member goes MIA, we still have 9 others who are there.
>
> We've group examples that actually work this way and others that
> simple don't work if one board member is MIA. That's all about how
> much work from others one of the members can block.

I don't see how someone can block the work of others in this particular
case. Please be specific (or stop bringing out unrelated concerns).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog