Re: Social Committee proposal

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:25:26PM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> > Yes, but that would mean that it could have hundreds of members.
> > That's just not manageable.
> You're an optimist, I would think that there are at most a few dozen
> interested people in Debian. But yes, in theory you could have as many
> member as there are DD's (assuming that the membership would be
> limited to DD's only).

Yeah, and note that if you do actually get less people, you might get a
higher ratio of people who are in it for not particularly good reasons -
it would be an easy self-promotion method, if nothing else.

> > It would be inherently less accountable because people don't have any means
> > to replace its members. Should we really let anyone join, and then have to
> > convince the leader or do a general resolution vote every time we want to
> > replace someone who's doing something wrong?
> Well, now I'm being optimist, but I would think that a vote to replace
> a member would happen a lot less often than a (yearly) election.

Nevertheless, if you don't have that possibility, it's more likely that
bad people would join the group thinking nobody will actually go through
the bother of removing them.

Note that I proposed an election every two years, thinking that we might
want a wee bit less yearly elections and bit more consistency. Not that it
necessarily modifies your position, but I'd like to hear if it does.

     2. That which causes joy or happiness.