Re: Debian Weekly News - November 28th, 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:20:52AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> writes:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 05:36:23PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> I suppose it's possible this is how they were reading the "Dunc-Bank"
> >> QA effort to find RC bugs, but if so, I think they were misreading the
> >> spirit of that effort
>
> > I think that the first two sentences on http://dunc-bank.zoy.org/ have
> > any potential of being mis-read. Dunc-Bank looks like a desperate effort
> > to make the current dunc-tank experiment fail masquerading behind a
> > generally good idea. Thankfully, the web page makes it pretty clear what
> > dunc-bank's real objective is.
>
> I read it as humor, but possibly that's helped by seeing it when it was
> originally proposed and seeing people take it in a fairly light-hearted
> fashion.
As it was reported by some survey this year, internet communication does
not usually convey the emotional content of the message even if it
includes smileys. The report said that about 1/2 the time both the
sender and receiver were in agrement as to how a message was intended
to be read. This just confirms it for me. In the internet age, why are
reporter still unwilling to simply email to originator and ask? Its not
like we have body guards or secretaries to get past or you need to pay
to send a message :-)
-Kev