Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:43:57PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Kevin Mark <kmark@pipeline.com>
> > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:36:58PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> >> Scripsit "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org>

> >> How is "making long-term, sustained, and significant contributions to
> >> Debian" _not_ "engaging in development"?
>
> > just to clarify, does 'engaging in development' equate to 'doing
> > software related stuff' or could it include 'helping to improve the
> > Debian organization in other ways'?
>
> As far as I'm aware, everything in Debian is software-related stuff in
> that it all exists to enable and support the creation of a free
> operating system.

Hi Henning,
I see 'open source' as a means to create software. I see 'free software'
as a means to create software and a community. Part of that community
involves 'technical support' through ML's, IRC channels, writing DOCS,
HOWTO's, WIKI's, Installfests, Conferences,.... because these contribute
to Debian continuing to exist and grow. This is one reason why I would
like to see Debian at least poll their opinion even if they never become
enfranchised.

Also, ML's and IRC are the place users go before or instead of emailing
the program author and complaining, so at least in some way we do help
lessen the maintainers load and do support for his/her app. Obviously
some of us do one email worth and some have done years worth. Also, I
know that I and others always encourage users to submit bug report and
install popcon, again this help debian. Imagine if debian had no ML or
IRC, how would the maintainers deal with 100's of supports request?

I was just reading something about creating a FLOSS project (by Mako)
and thinking that Debian plays a unique role is the floss world. While
most projects are created to 'scratch an itch'. Debian takes on the
additional task of i18n and l10n while most upstream dont need to/want
to/have the resources to. This makes translators an important part of
the Debian community and they contributes to the further adoption of
floss worldwide.

'software-related stuff' sounds ambigous. I'd love to see an
enumerated list of what that represents.
cheers,
Kev
- --