Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:46:52PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> > > What I find very dissapointing is that mdz asked on debian-devel twice
> > > for a decision from debian how ubuntu should handle the maintainer Field
> > > without any luck:
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00678.html
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00966.html
>
> Debian developers set the Maintainer field to themselves(or a team), when they
> upload to Debian.  The upstream author is only mentioned in the copyright
> file.
>
> Ubuntu should do something similiar.  Set the Maintainer field to someone from
> their group, and mention debian in the copyright(or other appropriate place).

I would very much appreciate if folks would review
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html and consider the
points that I raise there.  I put some effort into collating the issues
which came up the last time and presenting them.

It is important, in particular, to account for the fact that Ubuntu is not
the only Debian derivative, and that proposals like yours would amount to
Debian derivatives being obliged to fork *every source package in Debian*
for the sake of changing a few lines of text.

--
 - mdz