Re: Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > Debian developers set the Maintainer field to themselves(or a team), when they
> > upload to Debian.  The upstream author is only mentioned in the copyright
> > file.
> >
> > Ubuntu should do something similiar.  Set the Maintainer field to someone from
> > their group, and mention debian in the copyright(or other appropriate place).
>
> I would very much appreciate if folks would review
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html and consider the
> points that I raise there.  I put some effort into collating the issues
> which came up the last time and presenting them.
>
> It is important, in particular, to account for the fact that Ubuntu is not
> the only Debian derivative, and that proposals like yours would amount to
> Debian derivatives being obliged to fork *every source package in Debian*
> for the sake of changing a few lines of text.

Actually, ignore my last mail.

I actually considered that you(ubuntu) would respond thusly.  But, it doesn't
fly.

We don't allow J. Random Upstream to upload unchanged source into Debian.  We
add meta-data, and set the Maintainer field appropriately.  This is so
that Debian becomes the contact for the software, when it exists in
Debian. Debian derivaties need to do the same.

There really is no other way.