Re: Proposal: SPI as international money transfer service

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 07:45:09PM -0400, mmlacak wrote:
> Neil, thanks for your answers. Pardon my ignorance, but
> did you give them as an official SPI member?

I didn't give them as an official response from the board of SPI, but it
can be considered as officially the personal views of a board member of
SPI :)

> If so, may I ask you to reconsider accepting donations for any
> developer and any project, not just supported ones.

It is certainly something we can consider, but again I point out that
this really isn't the right forum to do so.

> I mean, there is no project which is set to financially support
> general open source community.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'general open source community'.
Most developers who need funding seem to be attached to a project.

> Your parent project, Debian, does this, only within its domain, that
> is source code.

Well, SPI is Debian's parent project, so I'm not sure what you mean by
"my" parent project being Debian.

> But, as much as Debian project contributes to an open source
> community, it also draws much from the same.

I'm not really sure about this. Have you got a example on how to draws
resources away from the open source community?

> So it seems to me that supporting only Debian and related projects is
> one sided, and, in a long run, not in a best interests of both
> community and Debian project.

Well, SPI certainly supports more than Debian and it's associated
projects.

Have a look at http://www.spi-inc.org/projects

> You can get only as much as you're giving away. Why give less, if you
> could easily give more?

This is possibly the crux of the matter:
It's non-trivial to add more projects. Each one takes resources to
manage the donations and account for them. To do this for a generic
deveoper would be far beyond what we are able to offer.

Regards,
Neil
--
* toresbe wonders what would happen if Ted Walther and Amaya were put in the
	same room