Re: Improving the DAM-queue?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> How about requiring all new NM applicants to join an existing package
> maintenance team?

Because we're volunteers, we can't require people to work in specific area
if that area is of no interest for them.

Of course, given the large number of teams, I bet most NM could have an
interest in working in some teams...

> Another possibility is to require new applicants to adopt packages which
> are O, RFA or join someone as a co-maintainer or become a co-maintainer
> for a package that has an RFH out there.

Indeed, doing QA work is a good way to learn and I spontaneously did that
when I got my Debian account... but the solution to orphaned packages is
not forcing NM to adopt them.

The set of software we're using today is not the same than the set of
software we used 10 years ago, so yes we must remove some orphaned
packages. In other cases, the software might still be in use and we should
try to find a solution if there's no DD willing to maintain it: here I'm
thinking of the "Debian Maintainer" idea thrown out by Anthony Towns (which
would let non-DD maintain a single package after a few runs of usual
sponsorship).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog