Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:15:00PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Yet, if  you are able to make Debian your "client", then you can do that
> > which you enjoy *and* get paid for it.  With my list, I was trying to
> That would involve taking over the person of either Andreas Barth or
> Steve Langasek.  I don't think I'm able to, nor do I believe it would
> be useful in the long-term.
>
> Maybe I should postpone my Debian work until Debian becomes my client
> and work for other clients in the meantime?  Interesting plan.  Need
> to think about this for a while.

If you don't want to work on Debian, you don't have to. There's no need
to invent reasons not to if you're not enjoying it, and don't think it's
worth your time.

If you want to get paid to work on Debian, then there's a few things that
are a good idea: demonstrating you're competent and skilled, that you're
willing to work on areas that other people think are important, and that
you're comfortable doing some of the other things that are associated
with getting paid in short term contracts -- like dealing with taxes,
being prepared to find new work if your current funding dries up, and
being willing to go out of your way to cooperate with the people you're
getting funds from.

Some things are really bad ideas too: not doing work in the hopes of
getting paid for it is one of them -- that both gives other people the
opportunity to step up and demonstrate that they're more interested
and committed and also seems like you're the sort of person who'd
try blackmail to get what they want and thus not someone people would
probably like to work with. Another bad thing is to complain about other
people getting paid when you're not -- different people have different
priorities, if you spend all your time focussing on the people who don't
share your priorities, you won't have any time to spare for the people
who think like you -- who are the ones most likely to want to give you
money for the work you do in the first place.

Seriously, organising for the people doing security work to be funded
would probably be even easier than getting release stuff funded -- there's
no need to do anything more than say "hey, I'd be willing to deal with the
problems that will cause, for me and for others" to get started on that.

And if you're not willing to deal with the problems it will cause for
you (in terms of having to work on Debian stuff you've agreed to even
if it gets boring or unfun, or dealing with taxes and government forms,
or having irregular payments), and others (in terms of people complaining
about how money is corrupting, or worried that they're not getting paid,
or trying to join a team because it gets money even though they don't
have enough skills in the area), then you're not really in a position
to be paid anyway.

Cheers,
aj