Re: Using money to fund real Debian work

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:52:57 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> If you want to get paid to work on Debian, then there's a few things
> that are a good idea: demonstrating you're competent and skilled,
> that you're willing to work on areas that other people think are
> important,

        Oooh. Can we have a statement from the DD's that are part of
 dunc-tank which areas they consider important, so those developers
 who are financially constrained may drop all work on everything else
 and see how to maximize their future earning potential?

> and that you're comfortable doing some of the other things that are
> associated with getting paid in short term contracts
> -- like dealing with taxes, being prepared to find new work if your
> current funding dries up, and being willing to go out of your way to
> cooperate with the people you're getting funds from.

        All that is already done for those of us in between jobs.

> Some things are really bad ideas too:

> Another bad thing is to complain about other people getting paid
> when you're not -- different people have different priorities,

        Does criticizing dunc-tank also fall in this category?

> if you spend all your time focussing on the people who don't share
> your priorities, you won't have any time to spare for the people who
> think like you -- who are the ones most likely to want to give you
> money for the work you do in the first place.

        Err, no. People who control the purse strings are really not
 people who think like me -- does that mean either I conform my way of
 thinking to that of the people who hold the purse strings, or I'm
 less likely to be a happy recipient?

        manoj

--
miracle: an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or
accomplishment. Webster's Dictionary