Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:38:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:28:35AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > [Steve Langasek]
> > > That's an interesting point.  Can you elaborate on how you see this
> > > being a loophole, in a sense that having the firmware on a ROM
> > > wouldn't also be?
> > The day Debian begins to distribute ROM chips, or devices containing
> > ROM chips, I will expect those chips to come with source code.  Until
> > then, this is a red herring.
>
> Note that while Peter is currently in the n-m queue (on hold pending
> further response to T&S checks apparently), he's not yet a developer,
> and his expectations shouldn't be inferred to be those of the developers
> as a whole.

Well, I hereby fully agree with Peter's expectations.  And I am a DD.
Please don't dismiss people just on grounds that they're not, yet, DD's.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //