Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:18:04 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> Hi folks, Ever since the sarge release, an ongoing question has
> been: what do the DFSG require for works that are not "programs" as
> previously understood in Debian?  Several rounds of general
> resolutions have now given us answers for some subclasses of
> non-program works, but debate still rages regarding one particularly
> important class: firmware for peripheral devices.

        Actually, I disagree, and, even worse, so does the common
 definition of the phrase computer program:  asking google about
 define: computer program gives:
,----
|     * A computer program is a set of statements or instructions to be
|       used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring
|       about a certain result.
|       www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/matters/matters-9710.html
|
|     * A combination of computer instructions and data definitions that
|       enable computer hardware to perform computational or control
|       functions.
|       sparc.airtime.co.uk/users/wysywig/gloss.htm
|
|     * A series of instructions or statements, in a form acceptable to
|       a computer, prepared in order to achieve a certain result.
|       www.hermit.cc/teach/ho/hogloss.htm
|
|     * program: (computer science) a sequence of instructions that a
|       computer can interpret and execute; "the program required
|       several hundred lines of code"
|       wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
|
|     * A computer program (often simply called a program) is an example
|       of computer software that prescribes the actions
|       ("computations") that are to be carried out by a computer. Most
|       programs consist of a loadable set of instructions which
|       determines how the computer will react to user input when that
|       program is running, i.e. when the instructions are 'loaded'.
|       en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program
`----

        What is firmware, then?  Speaking as en electrical engineer, I
 would say that firmware is just compiled binary programs that are
 meant to be executed by a processor (that often lives on the
 mainboard) which happens not to be the contral processing unit.

        Why is freedom of software only important for the central
 processing unit, but immaterial for other processing usints?

        And, given the trend of multiple processing usints, and not
 all of them being symmetric (the cell, for example, the central
 processing unit serves as little more than a traffic cop), with
 processing increadsingly off loaded to the graphics processing unit,
 physics processing units, encryption processors, biometrics
 processors, peripheral  processing units, we should be careful about
 how we define processing units for which software freedom in
 unimportant/

        Si, am I silly and alone in thinking that firmware is binary
 computer programs? Let us ask google to define: firmware:
,----

`----

>         4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device
>            firmware shall also not be considered a program.

        This would require us to amend the foundation document of the
 DFSG, and define that what Debian defines as software program
 is different from the common definitions of the term

        In order for us to have a meaninglul foundation document, we
 can't debate and use our own "special" definitions of common terms,
 since the definition in turn uses words that can be "defined" in a
 "special" fashion.

        So, unless otherwise stated, the foundation document terms
 refer to commonly understood meanings of words; looking to
 dictionaries, encyclopedias, and common references.

        Calling firmware not programs is our own "special" definition
 of firmware, and or program, and hence must be defined explicitly in
 the DFSG.  If we want to state that we only consider certain programs
 to be free, we ought to be upfront and clear about it in our
 foundation document.

        manoj
--
Meester, do you vant to buy a duck?