Re: How to best reach the users of a package?

Roland Mas wrote:

> Daniel Jacobowitz, 2006-08-05 22:20:08 +0200 :
>
>> I think this plan, and the overall idea, are both great.
>
> I have no objection to that either, and I'd suggest apticron and
> friends would benefit from that too.  I mean, there could be one
> channel transmitting various messages, such as "important info from
> the maintainer", "security update", "non-security update", and so on,
> and the user could choose which categories to see.  And where the
> messages go (email, file, pipe to a custom script, Gnome notification
> applet, etc.)
>
>   Doesn't that sound an awful lot like simply aggregating and
> filtering a lot of tagged RSS feeds?  It's very two-dot-zero-ish :-)

Clever.

So let's see how this might works with an RSS-feed implementation:

(1) Debian provides an RSS channel for "Debian package announcements" on its
servers.  Each developer has a way of publishing to it.  There is also
a "category" domain such that each package name is a "category" in that
domain.
(2) A filter program is installed (by default) on Debian installations which
can filter that feed by category, resulting in a feed containing only those
announcements for the packages which are actually installed on the machine,
which is served locally and is not available to other machines.  This local
feed can then be read with any RSS agregator on the local machine.

Hmm, sound plausible?

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...