Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 06:47:33 +0200, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> said:

> * Hubert Chan [Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:09:26 -0400]:
>> Not having used the DELAYED queue before, is it possible for the
>> maintainer to reject an upload without making their own upload?

>> e.g. if the NMU is broken, but it will take me more than a week to
>> test a proper fix.  Or if I decide that the package shouldn't be
>> changed after all.  etc.

> No, there is not. If the NMU is horribly broken, telling that to the
> NMUer should get them into doing something (withdrawing it, or fixing
> it). If not, and it's really important that the upload does not make
> into the archive, you can e.g. just reupload the current version (e.g.
> 1.2-3 as 1.2-4, which is bigger than 1.2-3.1).

Ick.  Reuploading a package with no changes just to cancel a broken NMU
doesn't sound like a lot of fun. :(

I understand the desire to make things easier for the NMUer.  How about
a DELAYED+CONFIRMATION queue (feel free to come up with a better name)
that works like DELAYED, but at 0-days it requests the NMUer to confirm
before uploading to the main archive.  This way, the NMUer gets a ping
to perform an action after an appropriate delay, but it's easier to get
rid of a bad NMU.  (I feel more comfortable making the NMUer confirm an
upload, than to ask him to withdraw a bad upload.  If the NMUer fails to
take action, then we're no worse off than we were before.)

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)