Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

[switched to -project]

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 05:37:11PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:
> >   Neither Ubuntu nor Debian do anything special to get hardware support
> >  that is provided by the kernel proper and tools that neither group
> >  created.
> That's not actually true. I do a lot of work in Ubuntu to add extra
> hardware support. [...] If Debian had slightly less of a culture of
> "Keep your hands off my package", I'd do it here instead.

What if we introduced the concept of "area" maintenance? Like saying
"Matthew Garrett is part of our hardware support team, so can thus NMU
any package that needs changes to support that release goal." with the
proviso that a bug gets filed with the NMU patch [0] at the same time.
We already have something like that with 0-day NMUs for certain
transitions authorised by the RMs.

Such teams would have to be composed of people who didn't have a habit
of uploading broken packages and then not fixing them, of course.

Cheers,
aj

[0] Do we have a tool to automate that atm btw? What is it?