Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 10:51:22PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > I would definitely like to see some standardisation -- like changing
> > from quilt/dpatch to dpkg-source-v2 based patches, or having a standard
> > README of some sort to explain how the package is built, but I don't see
> > why it should be mandated.
> Both quilt and dpatch have functionality that I don't believe
> dpkg-source-v2 patches have.  [...]
>
> I don't think that dpkg-source-v2 is really the answer to those problems,
> although at least for quilt (where there are no questions of non-patch
> actions) I'd be happy to see a system that converts a quilt patch setup to
> dpkg-source-v2 [...]

Right, that's what I was meaning -- that way dpkg-source will unpack
the current source for you automatically, and you can NMU from there
without having to actually worry that quilt/dpatch is being used and
that you might need to run "debian/rules stitch" or something to get .c
files you can edit.

Cheers,
aj