Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:36:29PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:39:02 +0200, Lo?c Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> said:
> >  I think it would be a great idea if it were applied to
> >  cross-package integration in general, not to specific task in
> >  particular.  [...]
>         Does that not mandate a a far more stringent template on
>  ./debian/rules (no yada, no cdbs, select one of quilt/dpatch) and
>  maintainer scripts (no Perl)?

I don't see why it would... It's the NMUers responsibility to understand
the code they need to change -- if that happens to be C or perl or
haskell or something built on top of one or more of those, that's their
challenge...

I would definitely like to see some standardisation -- like changing
from quilt/dpatch to dpkg-source-v2 based patches, or having a standard
README of some sort to explain how the package is built, but I don't see
why it should be mandated.

Cheers,
aj