Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

> I would definitely like to see some standardisation -- like changing
> from quilt/dpatch to dpkg-source-v2 based patches, or having a standard
> README of some sort to explain how the package is built, but I don't see
> why it should be mandated.

Both quilt and dpatch have functionality that I don't believe
dpkg-source-v2 patches have.  dpatch supports doing things other than just
patching files, and quilt isn't simply a patch collection but also adds
extensive facilities for working with the patches and incorporating new
patches.  The latter is the primary appeal for some of us who use quilt
whenever possible.

I don't think that dpkg-source-v2 is really the answer to those problems,
although at least for quilt (where there are no questions of non-patch
actions) I'd be happy to see a system that converts a quilt patch setup to
dpkg-source-v2 and back again so that the maintainer can use quilt and all
of its extensive functionality for managing patches but the package
builder doesn't need to have it available just to apply the patches.