[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 12:24:20PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> PS: Is it true that Ubuntu things about supplying a 3 year offer for
>> source under 3b so derivates of ubuntu can go sourcelss?
> A nice idea, to be sure, but it doesn't seem particularly helpful, unless
> the derivative isn't modifying anything GPL-covered (possible, I suppose,
> but unlikely), since the moment you modify something you don't have a
> written offer from someone for that source code, and can't use 3c any more.
> More likely, Ubuntu is going to let people who use the Soyuz (I think that's
> the one) part of Launchpad to define their own custom distros provide the
> source alongside the binaries, thus letting everyone go the 3a route (as
> long as you sign your sanity away by agreeing to use Launchpad for
> ever more).
> - Matt

Most of the time you change 1% and keep the remaining 99% of the dvd
as is (unless you rebuild every source package like ubuntu does).
A derivative can then just include that 1% source and the written


Reply to: