Re: [SUMMARY] About terminology for stable/testing/unstable and related issues

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:54 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Adam D. Barratt:
>
> > On Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:26 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
[...]
> >> Suite has already been used informally.  For completeness, you should
> >> also mention "section" (main, contrib, non-free)
> >
> > Those are components in Debian's nomenclature. Sections are the next level
> > down.
>
> Policy 2.2 calls them "sections" or "categories" (depending on whether
> you go with the headline or the main text).  One place the term
> "component" is used is APT, but I don't think this is an authoritative
> reference (cf. the use of "distribution").

dak calls them components, as ime do the ftp-masters (presumably because
apt and dak do); likewise suites. "Unofficial" tools such as
madison-lite and rmadison unsurprisingly also follow the convention.

Policy 2.2 is a confusing use of "sections" imho, especially as 2.4 is
also headed "Sections" and describes sections as I did previously, i.e.
as a level below main, etc. Just to add to the fun, 2.4 also says:

  The `Section' field should be of the form:
        * _section_ if the package is in the _main_ category,
        * _segment/section_ if the package is in the _contrib_ or
          _non-free_ distribution areas.

using three different terms for the same thing within one paragraph.

Adam