Re: Should this be how i am supposed to act in mailing list discussions ?

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:40:59PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:33:15PM +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > > A compromise is when everyone make some steps forward to agree on
> > > something. From my point of view, you're asking for others to make these
> > > steps forward, provided that you don't have to move. That's not a
> > > compromise.
> >
> > A compromise is when both sides give way a bit, so that we reach a point that
> > everyone can accept. I made a proposal, and there was no reply. There was no
> > proposal at all from the other side.
>
> Your proposal sounds like they have to take back everything and you...
> have nothing to do. How can that reach to a compromise ?

First, it costs them nothing but their pride, and will benefit debian, and
also benefit them, since they have trouble finding a replacement powerpc
porter with enough time and interest in the most obscure subarches. I am happy
to let Colin Watson handle the main stuff, and wear the powerpc porter hat and
all, but i hardly see what the benefit can be for me to bug Colin or others
each time there is some breakage. It will only agravate this problem, since it
will have more chance of me making posts that they will consider annoying, and
bash me for.

Second, Frans has personally hurt me in the way he did this. He chose the
moment to kick me out, while i was at my mother's sick bed, while i asked him
in personal email to not bash on me because i really didn't need it (it was
just after my mother almost died), and he goes on and remove the svn commit
within hours of this. He and others of the d-i team, have also had very
bashing and un-nice, or even aggresive, behaviour against me, since over a
year now. I don't mention this in the above, and will let this be, provided
they don't repeat such behaviour in the future. This is what my part of the
compromise, and i believe again that it hardly seems something that can be
refused ethically.

Third, i say i will make every effort to take care of the problem with the way
i communicate on mailing lists, though without falling in a sub-DD without
right to critic bad technical choices position.

<offtopic>

Some thoughts about email conversation ... Here i am having a public
discussion with Mike. He says something, and i reply, we are having a
discussion. It is normal that this brings longer threads, and even if more
than just we two participate.

Still, this is exactly what some people seems to find anoying and are even
offended by.

So, where is the limit, is the analogy of a mailing list to a public
discussion valid ? Or are there some other rules to follow ?

</offtopic>

Friendly,

Sven Luther