Re: irc.debian.org

On Wed, 03 May 2006, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> hertzog@debian.org wrote:
>
> >The people who are on Freenode are there because it's irc.debian.org but
> >they don't care if it's Freenode or not.
> How do you know?

Because I discussed with them... the initial plan was to move
#debian-devel-fr from Freenode to OFTC, but not everybody followed so we
ended up with the channel on both networks. I asked them why they didn't
follow and they told me that they want to be on irc.debian.org because
it's a Debian related channel. Roland Mas, Sébastien Bacher and several
other people argumented in that way.

> >I can also understand that some people prefer Freenode for historical
> >reasons but if you try to get the best for Debian, you can only understand
> >that it's important to have all people in a common place. And the more
> >consensual (or better said, the less-controversial) place right now is OFTC.
> Hardly.

Start a poll if you want to convince me otherwise. I'm on both network and
I'll stay on both networks after the change as well... but I definitely
want all official Debian channels on a single network.

Right now I'm on those Debian related channels on OFTC:
#debian-tech
#debian-devel
#debian-cd
#alioth
#debian-devel-fr
#debian.de
#debian-release
#debian-women
#debian-python
#debian-qa
#debian-soc

And on Freenode:
#debian-devel
#debian-boot
#debian-devel-fr
#debian-mentors

The facts are that most recent Debian-related channels have been created
on OFTC.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog