Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 19:34 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I've heard it suggested by a variety of people that we should move the
> official irc.debian.org alias away from freenode to oftc. I can see
> that more and more of my own Debian IRC discussions are on oftc, to
> the extent that I'm (currently) not on any freenode channels at
> all.

Disagree. I'm on some channels for other projects aswell, and they are
all on Freenode. Freenode is the de-facto standard for open source IRC
channels, and moving away from it should only be done for very
compelling reasons.

I personally have not had any serious problem with freenode in the
recent past. I guess the main problem with freenode would stem from
quite some years ago. Time has passed and Freenode improved.

Of course one can find a problem with any network, just as OFTC has its
problems too. To give an example, when trying to connect recently, I
discovered that there isn't even a server list available on their
website (quite basic information), and that irc.eu.oftc.net does not
connect you to a European server.

> On another front, oftc is also a sister org under the SPI
> umbrella.

What advantage does the same umbrella bring in choosing an IRC network?

Summarizing: I do not see how changing the default network would improve
Debian's IRC channels, but it would separate the Debian channels from
the much larger base of open source channels on Freenode.

thanks,
Thijs