Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:23:35AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> wrote:
>
>> There are complicated rules for being a "Charity" in the UK; in
>> particular it would prevent the Debian-UK Society from buying beer after
>> the expos.  It also vastly increases the amount of work required to run
>> it.  That's why a "Society" model was chosen instead.
>
>"Society" and "Charity" are not disjoint. This illustrates
>the lack of understanding apparent, which is one reason I
>think this business should not trade as "Debian-UK". There
>is law for "Society" models too but the DUS official
>approach seems to be "LaLaLa we're not listening" like in
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/pipermail/debian-uk/2005-August/010525.html
>
>Have we seen enough organisations come a cropper with the
>I-can't-see-the-law-so-it-won't-see-me "ravenous bugblatter
>defence" that we don't want a repeat performance?

Yawn. You complained and complained and complained in this vein on the
debian-uk mailing list. When several people went and did their own
research into how best to set things up and disagreed with you, you
finally stopped that. Now you've come over to d-project in an apparent
attempt to say "Look! These people are doing dodgy things I don't
like! Please stop them!"

Mark, your repeated misinformed rants on this subject just serve to
show that you don't understand

 (a) what we've done;
 (b) what we're doing;
 (c) why we're doing them.

The small amount of work done by some people in the UK to get a bank
account for Debian is considered reasonable by most people, be they
directly involved or merely observers. Your continued attempts to
paint us as stupid, malicious or both are getting _very_ wearing and
are starting to become offensive. Please stop.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...