Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks

Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:34:41AM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
>>This latest round was provoked by the DCC announcement. I participated
>>in the DCCA meeting yesterday evening. The organization has agreed to
>>call themselves the Debian Common Core Association in order to make it
>>more clear that they aren't in control of Debian. If other changes are
>>required, they will be cooperative.
>
> Personally, I don't think any external project should be putting the
> words "core" and "Debian" together, whether its led by Ian Murdock or
> not.

Hear! Hear!  I couldn't agree more.

This sort of hijacking of our name is the reason for having a trademark on
it -- We should clearly protect our users from the confusion that the DCC
name is bound to cause by issuing a cease & desist letter forthwith.

It beggars belief that anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with
The Debian Project would think that they had a right to set something up
calling it Debian Core _anything_, whether they sought approval from the
project as a whole or not.

To present it as a fait accomplis was bound to cause bad feeling, which I
think is evidence of either malicious intent or stunning lack of
imagination for the consequences of one's actions -- either way I don't see
how we can trust them to be issuing statements which will be perceived by
the world to have come from the project.

Cheers, Phil.