Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Michael Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote: [...]

Still with the name-calling?

> To the best of my knowledge, Debian-UK has never hosted an event (the
> closest you could possibly argue is the annual Debian UK barbeque, which
> is something that's pretty much entirely unrelated to the Debian-UK
> society)

DUS takes the profit or loss on the barbecue and it's held at the
DUS treasurer's house. Other events with beers and food seemed to
be intended, although I don't know if DUS has funded any yet.

> and does not speak at events (though some of its members do).

It gets as close as any organisation does, with speakers
listed as "Debian-UK" rather than anything else.

> Do you believe that Debian-UK's actions inhibit the commercial support
> of Debian in the UK? [...]

Yes.

> I'm sorry, I'm not able to find a single instance of money being spent
> on member training. [...]

Apologies, it's not in those reports but the message
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/08/msg00278.html
claims DUS funds that (non-exhibiting attendance at conferences
is often classed as training/continuing personal development by
other businesses).

> (I do apologise for repeatedly using the word "you" here, despite it
> being a public message. My personal beliefs prohibit me from using the
> third person in direct responses)

It's bad enough to misunderstand a simple point about open/closed
letters and then boast about it offline, but months later to
still be frothing on about it, and then try to mix in a dispute
which started on -private?  Astoundingly dim.

--
MJ Ray (slef)