Re: "Why" Debian Core Consortium ? Why not Debian?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 04:53:05AM +0000, Andre Felipe Machado wrote:
> This week, Sun Wah Linux talked about DCC Alliance:
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,,1845318,00.asp
>
> "Nonetheless, we believe that this activity should be carried out as much as
> possible within the Debian Project. At this time, the DCC Alliance and the
> Debian Project are separate entities, and the DCC Alliance's release of the
> Debian Common Core, even though it is argued as 100 percent Debian
> interchangeable, is certainly a fork in the Project," said Shuji.

Please make sure you quote correctly. Shuji is VA Linux Japan's VP of
marketing and neither working nor speaking for Sun Wah.

Also I wonder why he thinks this is a fork? I read a lot of email
conversaton and spoke to a lot of person but never got the impression a
fork is planned, it would not be acceptable for most companies forming
the DCCA anyway.

> Is it not possible to integrate these DCC nice ideas into Debian?
> - predictable releases (18 to 24 months server, 6 to 12 months desktop?)
> - predictable support for time after release
> - a Debian base core (kernel, key libraries, etc)
> - componentized and "isolated building blocks" sw (gnome, kde, X, apache, etc)

It is possible and it is the goal to do exactly that. I cannot speak
for anyone but myself but since our distribution is Debian pure working
on DCC wouldn't make sense if it wasn't doable inside the Debian
project.

> DCC is a good initiative and would be nice to get it into Debian (the
> technical part) as a sub project / CDD / task group / work group.
> By integrating into Debian, costs will be lowered and benefits will be
> multiplied. The commercial part still will have to be carried out of Debian,
> I guess.

It seems everyone including the DCCA agrees that a sub project would be
the best idea, so why not seeting it up?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes