Re: "Why" Debian Core Consortium ? Why not Debian?

Hello,
Until this moment, I guess there are some points to be solved with the
proposition and its nice ideas.
This week, Sun Wah Linux talked about DCC Alliance:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,,1845318,00.asp

"Nonetheless, we believe that this activity should be carried out as much as
possible within the Debian Project. At this time, the DCC Alliance and the
Debian Project are separate entities, and the DCC Alliance's release of the
Debian Common Core, even though it is argued as 100 percent Debian
interchangeable, is certainly a fork in the Project," said Shuji.

"This is because the thousand Debian Developers who have not joined the DCC
Alliance will be excluded, raising the fear that, in the long term, it could
'lead to the breakup' of the Debian Project."

Today, I had the very rare oportunity to ask Mark Shuttleworth at a local
event about DCC and why Ubuntu is not joining it.
Ian already contacted Mark about DCC and he declined for now.
In short, the reasons are the *almost*  the same as Sun Wah Linux ones (but
not exactly nor only reasons). Maybe in the future Ubuntu could join.

The DCC Alliance has some clever ideas.
Debian project has the social contract.
Debian project is trying to solve some well known issues for the future and
next releases.

Is it not possible to integrate these DCC nice ideas into Debian?
- predictable releases (18 to 24 months server, 6 to 12 months desktop?)
- predictable support for time after release
- a Debian base core (kernel, key libraries, etc)
- componentized and "isolated building blocks" sw (gnome, kde, X, apache, etc)

DCC is a good initiative and would be nice to get it into Debian (the
technical part) as a sub project / CDD / task group / work group.
By integrating into Debian, costs will be lowered and benefits will be
multiplied. The commercial part still will have to be carried out of Debian,
I guess.

Please, clarify these questions.

Regards.
Andre Felipe Machado