Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

Benj. Mako Hill <mako@debian.org> wrote:

> Exclusivity? As in, the idea of making a trademark license an
> exclusive one in a given area or field? I think that would be a very
> bad idea with Debian.

Think of it in terms of namespace pollution. We complain about packages
called "Terminal", because it implies that other terminal programs are
somehow less effective. The name carries some concept of exclusivity.
Martin's suggestion of "Debian Press" has the same issue - it implies
that any other Debian-related publishing company is somehow less
attached to the project. I think "Debian Common Core" fits into this as
well.

My suggestion would be that the Debian trademark should be restricted to
novel names and not used in descriptive terms. "Microsoft Debian" ought
to be permitted - "Debian T-shirts" should not.

(http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=4921 has an interview with Bruce
Perens, where he repeatedly uses the name "Debian Common Core" rather
than DCC. If the idea is that DCC stands for "Debian Common Core" in
the same way that NT stands for "New Technology", ie that officially it
doesn't, I think there needs to be a bit more consistency here)
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org