Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

* Ian Murdock (imurdock@progeny.com) wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Ian Murdock <imurdock@progeny.com> [2005-07-24 07:25]:
> >
> >>As always, feedback welcome. We're not trying to step on any toes.
> >
> > http://www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/mhonarc-files/debian-announce/msg00083.html
>
> Thank you, I'm aware of this. :-)
>
> But I don't see anything in here that's incompatible with what
> we're doing--for one, this isn't a business (it's not even really a
> consortium, since there won't be any formal organization behind
> it--the best way to describe it is that it's an open-source project).

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  You said in the prior message that
it's not going to be called "Debian Core Consortium", that's good, as
whatever you call it *shouldn't* include the term "Debian" in it unless
you get an official submark of the "Debian" trademark from SPI.  It's
possible that could be done but assuming you can just use the "Debian"
trademark in advertising, communication with the press, or as the name
of anything is wrong.

I would *strongly* encourage you to figure out what name you *do* want
to use for this, encouarge that it *not* include the trademarked term
"Debian", or that you contact SPI regarding getting an official submark.
I would encourage SPI to contact their counsel regarding this and that
anyone involved in the creation of this new entity not be involved in
any decisions by SPI on if the submark should be granted.

	Thanks,

		Stephen