Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

Ok, this is most unexpected, so I'm going to have to take
some time to consider my response. I can say with 100% certainty that
a trademark policy more restrictive than the one adopted by Linus
Torvalds for Linux isn't what the founder of this project had in mind.

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Ian Murdock (imurdock@progeny.com) wrote:
>>Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>>>* Ian Murdock <imurdock@progeny.com> [2005-07-24 07:25]:
>>Thank you, I'm aware of this. :-)
>>But I don't see anything in here that's incompatible with what
>>we're doing--for one, this isn't a business (it's not even really a
>>consortium, since there won't be any formal organization behind
>>it--the best way to describe it is that it's an open-source project).
> Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  You said in the prior message that
> it's not going to be called "Debian Core Consortium", that's good, as
> whatever you call it *shouldn't* include the term "Debian" in it unless
> you get an official submark of the "Debian" trademark from SPI.  It's
> possible that could be done but assuming you can just use the "Debian"
> trademark in advertising, communication with the press, or as the name
> of anything is wrong.
> I would *strongly* encourage you to figure out what name you *do* want
> to use for this, encouarge that it *not* include the trademarked term
> "Debian", or that you contact SPI regarding getting an official submark.
> I would encourage SPI to contact their counsel regarding this and that
> anyone involved in the creation of this new entity not be involved in
> any decisions by SPI on if the submark should be granted.
> 	Thanks,
> 		Stephen

Ian Murdock
317-578-8882 (office)

"A nerd is someone who uses a telephone to talk to other people about
telephones." --Douglas Adams