Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

* Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt (he@debian.org) wrote:
> ["Debian Core Consortium" ideas]
> > No, actually, it's probably better to make sure those involved
> > understand the trademark issues *before* they go off and develop
> > advertising based off it, tell reporters about it, and who knows what
> > else.  The earlier the better since the earlier they're aware of it the
> > easier it is for them to change it.
>
> Somehow I have the impression that Ian Murdock knows a little bit about
> Debian - we don't need to explain how it works to him. I think. Maybe.

As long as they understand it.  Is SPI aware of it?  Has the name been
officially licensed as a submark of Debian?  Before babbling to the
press using that name it certainly should be and I havn't seen anything
on any of the lists about that being done (SPI or Debian).  I suppose I
don't follow *every* list, and I might have missed it, but it seems kind
of unlikely.

So, sure, Ian may have some idea about Debian, and that *might* imply
some understanding of the trademark issues but it certainly sounds
like they're going about setting up this consortium in the wrong way.

Get your trademarks and whatnot set up *before* talking to the press
about it all.

	Stephen