Re: Branden's mail policies

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:42:30AM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 04:30:14PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > I'd like to think Branden would fix his mail setup for leader@ (or
> > best get his ISP to remove his IP from the DUL or provide one which
> > isn't on that list) in order to help the Debian project's image and
> > not just been seen as biting the hand that feeds by whinging about
> > people who reject his mail.
> Where did he whine? His message simply said:

>   * Switzerland: Marc Schaefer periodically collects donations and
>   sends them along to another organization, which I think is `ffis
>   e.V.`_.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to reach Marc to
>   clarify this because he has been (probably inadvertently) `blocking
>   my mail`_.

You missed:
> > I received an interview request from Andy Channelle of the UK
> > publication Linux Format, but unfortunately was unable to get my
> > response to him because he's `blocking my mail`_.  A freelancer for
> > the `Gartner Group`_ also contacted me with a very long message, to
> > which I'm not sure how to reply yet.

> > .. _blocking my mail: http://deadbeast.net/~branden/homepage/mailblock.html

> How does that constitute as whining?

He's publically whining about the fact these people are BLOCKING HIS
MAIL when in fact it may just be the circumstances of their
workplace/ISP/whatever that they are unable to change.  Yet it's their
names he's publically trying to blacken.

Branden, being a technical person who is well aware of the problems of a
DUL'd IP, could take the more mature approach and ask his ISP for an IP
which isn't on the DUL or get his ISP to remove the range from the DUL.
These aren't difficult to at least ask for but he'd rather whine on and
on about these people who are BLOCKING HIS MAIL instead of taking a
mature approach to it.

Why is my point of view hard to understand?

I'm not asking him to fix people who blacklist, I'm not saying that the
DUL is the best thing since sliced bread, I'm not trying to promote the
DUL or blacklists in general, I'm just trying to ask for a bit of
maturity in the way he deals with mail as leader of the Debian project.

Apparently that's too much to ask.

Simon.

--
oOoOo      "An excellent suggestion sir, with only two minor       oOoOo
 oOoOo                    flaws...." - Kryten                     oOoOo