Re: sarge and the Wall Street Journal

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Enrico Zini wrote:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:40:09PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

I'm more concerned about user confusion than about
what ZDnet happens to be saying.

Nevertheless, a tiny press release correcting the ZDNet news would be
useful.  Something along the line of:

ZDNet misreports Debian security

Right on! Anyone who has been following what went on with Enderle or that Syscon woman or even Dan Rather if you want a more mainstream example, should realize by now that the media is as mercenary as any other institution and needs to be pummelled into submission with aggressive fact-checking.

And as others in this thread have said, Debian cannot be merely reactive. We need to get our side of the story out quickly so hack journalists never get a chance to write stories like this.

I'd like to talk to people about ways to do this at Debconf. For instance I mentioned PR Newswire before. Although it is a bit of a ripoff it might be prudent to join if it gives access to the mainstream press.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>