Re: GFDL freedoms

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 03:37:02PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:44:22AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > >
> > > I disagree. Standards documents, even if unmodifiable, are useful.
> >
> > A specification that cannot be updated is not 'useful', it's 'disaster
> > waiting to happen'. Suddenly when you want to add ipv6 support, you
> > find that you have to throw the specification away and write a new one
> > from scratch.
>
> You wrote 'specification', I wrote 'standards documents'.

I call things by their real names. A 'standards document' is a
specification promoted by a self-proclaimed 'standards body'. The
practical difference? Nothing but bullshit. I hereby declare myself to
be a standards body and every specification ever written to be a
standard. This is at least as legitimate as w3c, since they did
exactly the same thing, and more legitimate than IETF, since they
never did but rather just prevaricated into it (building up a long
history of shoddy handling and politics along the way).

It's just more documentation. Free software needs *free* documentation.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |