Re: non-free but distributable packages and kernel firmware

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:55:34PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:44:36PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > the host system.  That would suggest that it would also be worth having
> > a separate section specifically for data to be downloaded to hardware,

> Well, there you enter in the discussion of additional classification of
> non-free, which has been rejected upto now as too much trouble.

To my mind we enter into that discussion as soon as we start talking
about this proposal.  Hrm.  Thinking about it, a section like that would
be more of a parallel to the proposed data distribution.

> This behavior could be trigered by a debconf variable, which could suitably be
> pre-seeded to produce the non-free-but-distributable and the free version of
> it. The free just informing the user that the hardware is not supported with
> free drivers, and not proposing the download.

I would assume that as part of this things like CD images would actually
have the redistributable data in there already so I guess the prompt
would only happen if the packages weren't on an already avaliable media.

> All other kind of classification would probably be something usefull, but
> nobody seems to be willing to invest the time to do it, so ...

The main constraint with any new archive sections seems like the
willingness of ftp-master to review things for inclusion in them -
individual packages can be handled piecemeal much like the move out of
non-US was.