Re: non-free but distributable packages and kernel firmware

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:08:21AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> As thus i was wondering if, together with the volatile effort, it would not be
> time for us to split the non-free archive into two parts, namely :

>   1) non-free-but-freely-distributable

>   2) rest of non-free

While that does look like a useful distinction, especially for (as you
say) people building CDs and the like, there also seems to be a
reasonable community of people who are willing to accept non-free
downloads to hardware but still don't want non-free software running on
the host system.  That would suggest that it would also be worth having
a separate section specifically for data to be downloaded to hardware,
or perhaps for non-free data in general since there seems to be some
crossover with people who wouldn't mind things like non-free standards
documents either.