non-free but distributable packages and kernel firmware

Hello,

In the wake of the discussion about solving the murky non-free binary firmware
blobs in our linux kernel issue, there was a proposition to split out the
firmware blobs from the main drivers, and distribute them in a separate but
canonical place from ftp.kernel.org.

As thus i was wondering if, together with the volatile effort, it would not be
time for us to split the non-free archive into two parts, namely :

  1) non-free-but-freely-distributable

  Which would hold all the files which are freely distributable, but fail one
  of the freely modificable criterias of the DFSG.

  2) rest of non-free

  Which would include all but the ones in the first part, and impose some
  furter restriction on distribution.

This would also allow some clarification about the GFDL, and put these in an
archive which can easily be put on CDs and other medias, as well as include
the kernel modules with non-free firmware blobs, contain a non-free version of
the debian-installer using them, and so on.

Not sure if this is compatible with the volatile effort, or should be
separate, and i have a feeling that it would be a nice way to stay true to our
social contract, and respect the wishes of the project to consider everything
as software and stay firm on the freeness issue, as well as continue to
support our users as we also promised in the social contract, in particular
those that need those non-free drivers, while at the same time putting the
onus on the non-free drivers, so everyone knows they are non-free, and don't
blindly use non-free kernel drivers like they do today. I believe it is also
in accord of the results of the non-free GR, which we decided to keep as a
service to our users.

Friendly,

Sven Luther