Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:16:39PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >AFAIK, we don't notify for every new piece of software in the archive, just
> >those which would fall foul of the export restrictions.
>
> That's mistaken -- we automatically notify for all NEW packages, so that
> we don't have to examine every upload of every package in order to send
> a notification when crypto is added to an already existing package.
> Basically our notifications say "this package may contain crypto, now or
> at some future date".

OK, thanks for the correction.  I was a bit curious as to how we handled
crypto notifications after the initial upload...

> NEW processing for new binary packages is manual so that the name choice
> can be reviewed, and for general sanity checking purposes. It might be
> nice to do some sanity checking for changes to the copyright file in
> packages that aren't NEW too, but that's not really feasible at the
> moment, and "new binary package" is a fairly good indicator of
> significant changes that warrant double checking, anyway.

Do you believe that the ftpmaster team might be amenable to either of the
proposals mooted recently, such as multiple people certifying that the
package is OK (like "advocates for packages"), or a collection of clueful
DDs doing these sanity checks on NEW packages?

- Matt