Re: Limiting number of post from a poster per day per list

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 01:23:31AM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> We all know we waste too much time on ML discussing and reading many
> postings.  We must have some rule for ML to improve this situation.
>
> I think limiting a number of post per user (per ML) will help reduce
> noise in our discussion on ML.  Perticulary -devel, -legal, ...  I think
> this limit can be purely honor system initially.

This is an extremely crude measure which would need many more tweaks
before being useful (for instance, an equal limit for all lists across
the board is totally inappropriate; what about people replying to lots
of bugs on debian-boot in a single day?), and I don't think it's
actually the desired metric to start with.

I'd rather see more lists moderated, and the moderators given power to
say "OK, this thread has gone off-topic and stopped being productive,
please end it". That would allow discretionary salvaging of totally
doomed conversations without the need to impose arbitrary and
inappropriate limits. Compare how the linux-kernel mailing list
moderators occasionally step in to kill off-topic threads.

Cheers,