Re: Limiting number of post from a poster per day per list

Colin Watson wrote:
> This is an extremely crude measure which would need many more tweaks
> before being useful (for instance, an equal limit for all lists across
> the board is totally inappropriate; what about people replying to lots
> of bugs on debian-boot in a single day?), and I don't think it's
> actually the desired metric to start with.
>
> I'd rather see more lists moderated, and the moderators given power to
> say "OK, this thread has gone off-topic and stopped being productive,
> please end it". That would allow discretionary salvaging of totally

Anybody can say so, but nobody can really stop a thread.  That would
also mean that list contributors would be encumbered in their free
speech.

On a technical side killing a thread would result in several new
threads to evolve to deliver the other issues (already happens) and
valuable content going lost for the old thread if the moderators would
not approve each and every mail, which would be quite time consuming.

We honor Free Software, but we don't honor free speech?  I'm a bit
worried that we are discussing this issue at all.

Regards,

	Joey

--
If nothing changes, everything will remain the same.  -- Barne's Law