Re: Google ads on debian.org

* John Hasler (jhasler@debian.org) wrote:
> Stephen Frost writes:
> > Interesting question, I imagine it would have to be SPI on behalf of
> > Debian.
>
> But which specific individual would do the selling?  It would involve a
> significant amount of work even if as much as possible was contracted out.

Oh, I dunno, whomever wants to.  The question was more of 'should Debian
let it's developers do this as part of Debian (as opposted to outside of
Debian)' or not.

> > That's an interesting point.  I guess what I was thinking was more like
> > "would Debian/SPI be willing to set up the mechanism to allow for
> > pay-per-bug".  One of the options of that, on a per-developer basis,
> > could be "do you want the funds to go to you, or be a donation to SPI?".
>
> If companies want to pay DDs directly for fixing bugs, that's fine.
> However, I don't think Debian should ever disburse money to developers for
> doing Debian software work.

I wasn't actually suggesting that.  I was suggesting that Debian might
set up a mechanism whereby a company could ask for a bug to be fixed and
then be told who to pay once it is (either said developer, with name and
address, or to SPI as a donation by said developer).  I didn't mean to
suggest that SPI would collect the money and then pay it out to the
developer.

	Stephen