Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Monday 13 December 2004 21:37, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2004-12-13 21:22:31, schrieb Florian Weimer:
> > I think it's disappointing.  If this development continues, the only
> > ad-free space on the web will be Microsoft's web site, a few obscure
> > government sites, and lots of orphaned web pages which haven't been
> > updated for years.  (For most users, web ads are much more annoying
> > than for us who can apply all kinds of filters to get a relatively
> > ad-free (and popup-free!) browsing experience.)
>
> Please make a difference between "graphical" Adds which are trying
> to jump into your eyes and this one from Google which are only Text.
>
> I consider this Google-Adds as very discret and not offensive.
>
> Greetings
> Michelle

Those Google Ads are look the way they do. cause they're made for a special
target group. So that's just quit a good marketing idea (not new). If you
want you could say thats also way to make people think Google is different,
they're serious, they're cool and, and and, but they just want to sell, and
harden theire market position. A quit subversive Way of separating people
from there money. And maybe in some cases textbased ads could be
missunderstood as a part of the website.

I think Google wants to put there ads on Debian to get some kind of 'big clean
okay' for there way of doing commercials from another major open source
project. Many people will think: Well, if that's okay for debian.org, it will
be okay for many others, sooner or later. Not only debian.org will be
affected by a decision.

 Lars

--
Tue Dec 14 00:58:19 CET 2004