Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

On Sex, 2004-08-06 at 16:09, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> You just don't care about the problem that debian-women is trying to
> deal.

I think you're being over defensive. If I understood Jaldhar H. Vyas
right, I agree with him.
What I understand is: Debian (as a Project, in it's Social Contract or
Policy or any other defining document) doesn't NEED to tend any
minority's social aspect. Our only commitment is with software quality
and integration. Nevertheless, we CAN (and maybe SHOULD) tend to the
technical aspects that affect any group, not necessarily a minority, and
that's what I believe debian-women is about (of course, correct me if
I'm off the tracks here).
If that's what debian-women is really about, then more power to them!
If not, I don't quite agree with it's existence since I don't think
Debian is an NGO with a social agenda, but then again, me not liking it
is not gonna change anything.

> I just don't understand why you want to stop them doing that...

Nobody said anything about stoping them (at least I didn't read it and I
certainly didn't say it), I just think that if they want to serve the
purpose I explained above, a change in the project name would only
improve the acceptance rate of the initiative and overall attract more
help and less prejudice.

And I say all this with a non-beligerant tone.

Cheers
--

 Leo Costela
 <costelaaa@ig.com.br> | <costela@debian.org> | <costela@wallsplash.net>