Re: Section gnustep, was: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

>> > I think this is a good idea. Would it start by being populated with
>> > anything depending on gnustep*, or did I not think that through? What
>> > packages would that give?
>> Yep, this would also help me have less warnings in the gnustep-meta
>> packages ( http://www.linuks.mine.nu/i_debian/meta-gnustep/ ), can we
>> change lintian like this:
>>
>> If all agree that we add 'gnustep' to the section. I think
>> lintian package should be updated by adding 'gnustep' to:
>> lintian source
>> testset/info_tags.non-us, line 28
>> checks/common_data.pm, line 21
>> checks/fields.desc, line 172
>
> This will happen automatically (well, sort of) by the lintian
> maintainers when policy gets changed (and not earlier than that).
>
> On topic: I don't really think a section for this few packages is worth
> it.
>
> Package count (binary, unstable of two days ago, without contrib and
> non-free) is below, and it shows that even the smallest section has
> nearly 300 packages.
>
> Maybe there are better splits to imagine (seperate compilers from
> devel? Client networking stuff from net (as opposed to server networking
> stuff)?)
>
> --Jeroen
>
> shells          292
> news            327
> embedded        383
> electronics     515
> oldlibs         647
                  ^^^
Geez.

> comm            658
> tex             700
> hamradio        734
> otherosfs       845
> base            890
> science         921
> doc            1037
                 ^^^^
I suggest doc and doc-devel, with doc-devel being useful only for
programmers.

> kde            1155
> editors        1314
> math           1429
> misc           2049
                 ^^^^
Can't these be categorized?

> mail           2233
> perl           2482
> gnome                  2606
> graphics       2765
                 ^^^^
We could certainly do with a separate "video" section for moving graphics.

> text           2914
> interpreters   3081
> web            3233
> python                 3252
> sound                  3280
> admin                  3765
> games                  4724
> x11            5217
> utils                  5333
> devel                  7002
                         ^^^^
"lisp"?
Actually, some of the stuff here appears to belong in libdevel.  Beyond
that, this contains a gazillion kernel thingys.  So, probably a "kernel"
section?  ;-)  Other parts are perl- or python-specific.

> net            8941
                 ^^^^
Some of the stuff in here belongs in 'mail', and some probably belongs in
'admin'.  A few bits belong in 'web'.

Beyond that, separating out 'net-daemons' or 'net-servers' from the others
(mostly clients) would be very reasonable.

> libdevel      11895
                ^^^^^
A fair amount of this is devel packages for old versions of libraries and so
probably belongs in oldlibs.  'oldlibdevel' perhaps?

> libs          13390
                ^^^^^
Yowza.  And yet, I don't think 'libs' should be split; everything in 'libs'
should be wanted only if you have a program which uses it, and that's a
nice meaning.  Except, more should probably be in 'oldlibs'.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/