Re: Section gnustep, was: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:15:00PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> This invalidates my argument, although 47 (or 90 as you estimate)
> packages with 'gnustep' in the description (apt-cache search gnustep|wc
> -l) is still less than 263 (gnome) or 212 (kde) packages, it isn't
> unlike the smaller sections that already exist.

One the one hand, I believe we should give GNUStep the credit it
deserves as a GNU project and all. Also, quite a few DDs seem to be
active in GNUStep, so just like Debian advocates the use of so called
"obsolete" hardware through it's ports, we could advocate the use of
this fine (but overlooked) Desktop environment by endorsing it.

On the other hand, I strongly believe this choice should be left to the
ftp-masters. And on another note, I also hope that package tags will
really take off at least after sarge and that the Sections: will become
mostly irrelevant in the near future. There's no use in fixing them, as
long as they are not *too* broken (cf. gnome/kde/x11).

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer