Re: debian is too big

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:54:35AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20040309182513.GA30252@complete.org>,
> John Goerzen  <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> >I think it has some problems, though -- for instance, differences in
> >versions of libc.  If we supported building packages from source better
> >(which I really think we should), this instantly becomes more practical.
>
> As long as "the core" is stable, you shouldn't need to upgrade
> it.

The core of Debian includes perl-base, which provides perlapi-(blah).
It's quite common for newer applications with XS Perl bindings to start
requiring newer versions of Perl (for instance, Subversion's Perl
bindings require 5.8.0), and when you upgrade perl-base to a new minor
upstream version you have to rebuild everything that has binary
extensions, which includes e.g. bits of GNOME.

It's not really all that easy to decouple this from a release of the
rest of Debian and still have sane testing and release management, IMO;
and then you're right back into having to release the whole thing at
once.