Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:02:42 -0500
David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:15:25PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Perhaps we need to reconsider our official recognition of Freenode's
> > #debian as a Project resource.
>
> Well, given that the number of actual Debian Developers who hang around
> in there regularly is two (Laurence Lane/ljlane and David Harris/ElectricElf) and neither is in
> there that frequently these days in my experience. joshk is there from
> time to time, but I feel like I'm the only one with a package in the
> archive who's actually present frequently and for long periods of time.
> Basically there is no help from those officially involved in the
> project, which is unfortunate in my opinion.

I don't think whether or not people have a package in the archive is
particularily relevant. What matters is that the people who actually
have "privilege" (in the permissions sense), the people who actually get
to decide who's in and who's out, are good people ... see below :)

> Instead what has happened is that bitter users have largely taken over
> the channel, mwilson being the most notable of those, and they tend to
> piss off more new users than they help. There are very notable
> exceptions to this (Rob Weir/bob2, Peter Samuelson/peterS, Don
> Armstrong/dondelelcaro, Simon Raven/simonrvn) but they are often drowned
> out by the angry users.

With the exception of peterS, all the good people you mention are
channel operators and are perfectly capable of simply removing the
ability for the angry users to speak.

Ask why they don't do that before you suggest that they do.

> I think that having #debian as an official resource should not go away.
> There is no better way to find out what users on the frontline are
> having troubles with. The problem is a lack of involvement from people in
> the project who are well connected to what's going on. I've thought
> about creating a "#debian strike force" for a while now (we almost have
> one in a way) but I haven't figured out a good way to do it. If anyone
> is interested in setting this up, I think it'd be worthwhile. #debian
> should still remain a part of the project.

We actually do have one, and have had one for a good long while. It
might not be composed entirely of DDs, but that's irrelevant. Being a DD
doesn't automatically make you a good decision-maker when it comes to
dealing with people's ability to speak freely in a support channel.
Likewise, just because you're not a DD doesn't mean you're incapable of
being a valuable resource.

At the request of a number of Debian Developers and users, I'm going to
spend more time in #debian and I hope to put forward some concrete
recommendations in the near future. Probably a couple of months.

--
       Aruing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud.
	    After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.