Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:25:59AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > So, Helen is kind enough to summarise her views on why she doesn't
> > participate in the project as fully as she might, and she's called a
> > flake, mentally unstable and sexist for her beliefs.
> Well, she said that she doesn't participate because boys will be mean
> to her.  Sounds sexist to me.

There are other ways of responding to that sort of claim than accusing
people of being sexist, flakey or mentally unstable. That you've chosen
that particular way says something about you, and says something about
the project's culture.

Considering claims of being flakey, mentally unstable and sexist are
particularly likely to be offensive given the topic of this thread and
Helen's reason for participating, I don't really see how you can claim
the thesis you're attributing to her is anything but dead-on. That rather
than address the issue and see if we can find some way of resolving it
to Helen's satisfaction, you're choosing to dismiss it as being sexist,
says even more about both you and the project, really.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004